Cannabis and Older Adults:
- Most cannabis users over 65 are new users.
- Most use for therapeutic reasons: Pain, sleep, and anxiety.
- 30% of respondents had used cannabis.
- 40% of those not using were interested and considering using medical cannabis.
- Most currently using, or considering using were for medical reasons, primarily: pain, inflammation, sleep, and anxiety.
- Most wanted to know more about the benefits and risks of using medical cannabis from a trusted source.
- Some evidence that CBD effective for: inflammation, seizures, and anxiety.
- Some evidence that THC effective for: anti-nausea, pain relief, and appetite stimulant.
Forms of Medical Cannabis and their duration of effects:
1) Flower: almost immediate effects that can last for 6 to 12 hours.
2) Vaping: almost immediate effects that can last up to 4 hours.
3) Sublingual (Sprays or Strips): Onset in 10-30 minutes and lasting for 6-12 hours.
4) Ingested (Edibles): Onset in 10-60 minutes and lasting for up to 12 hours.
5) Topicals (Creams, Lotions): Unknown onset and lasting for 6 hours plus.
Trend for best results if treating for pain:
1) Eating (Edibles)
4) Inhaled (Smoked)
* Always get doctors advice and a prescription before using medical cannabis.